First Descents - Part 1

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

I have tons to say about First Descents so I have decided to split them up into multiple posts. So here goes the first one!

In February of last year my oncologist asked me if I would be interested in doing something outdoor adventureish in May with Massey and a group that does outdoor programs for young adults with cancer. She didnt have many details at the time but with the words "outdoors" and "young adults" in the description I figured it would be something I'd enjoy and said sure. Months went by and I didnt really think any more about it. In April my oncologist reminded me about this opportunity and thats when I started to second guess myself. At the time I wasnt sure what we would be doing and I was intimidated by the fact that I still did not have all of my strength back post radiation (and really chemo). I also was nervous to meet other young adults with cancer. Through my journey with cancer I never went to a support group. In fact aside from some of my coworkers who also had cancer I never really talked with many other people about it and definitely not people my age. However, I pushed these nerves aside and decided that I would not let cancer keep me from anything else and that I should not pass up this opportunity. Shortly after the talk with my oncologist I received an email from First Descents welcoming me to the event. This was the first time I actually saw the organization's name and so of course I immediately googled it. The website was filled with pictures and stories of participants describing their experiences. The organization looked awesome and made me very excited for the upcoming event.

If you read the Richmond Magazine article posted in my previous blog post you know that our activity that day was rafting down the James. For those of you not familiar with Richmond the James is a large river, with rapids, that flows down the middle of our city. In fact we are the only urban setting with Class III and IV rapids, get it Richmond! :)  Its great because you can put in further up the river and its like you are in the middle of the woods and then after you float down the river a ways you are in the middle of the city.

Needless to say the experience was great! The rafting part was so much fun but even better was getting to meet all of the people. There were Massey employees and patients, as well as FD alum and employees, on the trip. Before we began our rafting trip we were all given nicknames. This is a major part of FD, everyone who participates in an FD program is given a nickname and that is your name from there on out. My FD name is Dimples :) Through talking with the FD alum I got to hear first hand about their week long FD programs. Lucky for me the three alum that were there had all done different programs (white water kayaking, surfing, and rock climbing). It was nice to hear their perspectives on the sports and hear about their experiences. As with any program the best advertisements are former participants. They got me so excited about this organization that by the end of the day I could not wait to sign up for a program. It was also nice just to hang out with other young adults who have/had cancer. With my surgery coming up soon after it was encouraging and inspiring to talk with others who had been through similar things. After that day I did not feel as nervous about the up coming procedure.

The next day I applied for a week long FD program. I applied close to the start of their programs so most were already filled and I was put on a waiting list. Luckily I got an email a few weeks later saying they had spots open in a white water kayaking program in Glacier National Park. My initial intent was to do a surfing program but when I saw that opportunity I could not pass it up. I mean its Glacier National Park! In my next post I will tell all about that FD trip.

Here are some pics from the rafting trip!

Getting reading to head out on the river
Our lunch break had an amazing view of the Carrilon in Byrd Park
A great tradition in FD is the baci ceremony, which mimics that of the baci ceremonies
performed in Laos, where you tie string on a
fellow participant. I will go more into the baci ceremony in my next post.
Sweet D, aka world renowned kayaker, Willie Kern, was our FD leader
for the day and performed the baci ceremony
Out on the river 
My raft before our last rapids 
Our leaders for the day 
The FDi Group! 


No comments:

Post a Comment