Chemo 8 Recap

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

8 Down, 4 to go! I was finally able to have my 8th chemo treatment a week and a half ago, Friday the 3rd. If everything goes as planned I will have my last chemo on July 12th. As I said in my previous post I've been a little bummed by the push back buuuttt I can now say I've gotten over it ha. Im lucky I only have to do 6 months of chemo compared to others so I just focus on that... and filling the rest of my summer with tons of fun things!

Chemo 8 has probably been my best chemo experience so far. I was sick the Saturday after and then this past Friday/Saturday but those have been my only really bad days. Other than that I am feeling pretty good. I am not as tired as I was after Chemo 7, I have not been that nauseas, no random side effects, and I've been in pretty good spirits! Every time I think I know whats going to happen the next chemo it turns out to be completely different than the one before. You just never know. I really hope the last 4 are like Chemo 8 though!

My counts have remained low and I found out today my neutrophils are back down to .1, so again I am extremely neutropenic. Not very surprising news haha. I just hope they go up by Friday or we will have another postponement. Luckily though its okay if this one gets pushed back. I am going on vacation to the beach (hallelujah, praise the lord!!) the first week of June and we decided instead of coming back early and doing chemo we would just push it back a week and have a nice long week of no work, no doctors appointments, and no chemo. I can not wait!!!!!!! Just slightly excited :). So even if Chemo 9 gets postponed some it should not effect Chemo 10's date. And since Chemo 10 will be after a long break compared to the usual routine it should not be postponed! So woohoo, I should at least get through Chemo 10 with no major delays. Then it will be down to 2 and I will do whatever possible to keep those on track.

I started running again last week and by running I mean walk/running. I had tried running some a few months ago and that was just not happening. I could hardly breath after going a block so I just went back to walking. However last week I was going for a walk and I just decided I wanted to try to run and I did a few blocks and felt okay. It was such a great feeling to think I can do this, I can run some. I am not setting my sights too far (yet) and am just slowly trying to get back into it with running a block, walking a block but it still feels great to be able to do that.

There is a video that has been going around facebook which is just awesome and inspiring about a young man with Osteosarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer who maintains a cheerful life all the way to his last days (he passed away yesterday). It is definitely worth a watch! I loved one thing his mom said, “I think that’s actually one of the blessings of cancer, that you kind of come out of denial. So in doing that, things are better. You know that life is richer. Everything means more. Beauty is more beautiful.” Which is very true and one positive thing that comes from cancer, you really do learn to treasure life so much more. Click HERE and check out the video.

I also was recently introduced to a new fundraising campaign, Still Easier Than Chemo. It was started this past summer by a young woman whose mom passed away in August from Colon Cancer. Her mom had breast cancer years earlier and her father is a colon cancer survivor. Can you imagine being a kid and growing up with both of your parents having cancer?! Sheesh, I can not even fathom that. So this woman decided she would run 12 half marathons in 12 months to raise money for cancer research at Massey. Check out the website HERE. I also just love the name, Still Easier Than Chemo, she mentions its a reminder that what she is doing is still easier than what her mom went through. I bought a shirt and can not wait to rock it when I am running a few miles or a ton of miles or really doing anything. It will be a nice reminder that I can do it and that it is still easier than what I went through with chemo and to do it for all of those who cant.

So fingers crossed Friday goes off without a hitch!! Less than 2 months to go! :)

Also, I really want to make/bake something to take for my nurses on Friday. However, I am not sure what to make/bake! My first instinct is cookies and brownies or something like that but if any of you nurse friends out there have suggestions for things ya'll like to receive please post a message, fb message, or text me with ideas. Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment