It's A New Year!

Sunday, January 6, 2013


Happy New Year!!! My New Year's vacation at the beach with my friends was great, exactly what I needed!! 

Although I could not completely put my mind in vacation zone it was nice to have my friends there to talk to about the Hodgies (what I am calling it from now on :) ) and to help me make light of certain parts of it. I am very lucky to have such great friends. I was able to completely forget about it all a lot of the time and I felt like it was just another crazy fun vacation of ours. When we first got into the house I smiled because there were three elephants with their trunks up in the kitchen for decoration (dont ask, the house owners had very interesting interior design). An elephant with its trunk up is a sign of luck and my mom had recently purchased me an elephant necklace as my good luck charm and I use it to help remind me of all the luck I already have. So when I saw the elephants in the kitchen it made me happy and of course I then had to have a photo session with them haha. 

My luck necklace
My OBX elephants

I do not have many updates on the Hodgies as of right now. On Friday I got the pet scan and that all went fine. It was very long and boring. I could not eat or drink for 4 hours prior (or exercise or eat sugar for 24 hours prior) and then they injected me with a little bit of radiation and I had to lay on a recliner, very still, in a very cold room for about an hour. This is to make sure the radiation goes through my body. Then I layed on this long board and they strapped me in and I went through the scanner. Again I had to lay very still. That lasted about 30 minutes. It was very similar to the cat scan except the machine was slightly bigger and it lasted much longer. At first I started to get a little anxious when I was going into the machine because I get claustrophobic but then my head came out the other end and all was well. When I had the cat scan they injected something in me during it with an IV and it made me sick afterwards, thankfully the pet scan had no side affects. One of my best friends, Melissa, works in radiology and does pet scans frequently so she had forewarned me about the whole process so it was great being able to talk with her through it all.

We will get the results of that on Tuesday when we meet with Dr. Wiedl. Right now I am just anxious to get an exact diagnoses and start treatment. The sooner it starts the sooner it ends. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Rachel told me and showed me your blog. I have been thinking about you since she told me and I am confident that you will pull through this all with your support from your friends and family. Writing is good, keep it up! Also, I don't know if you have ever read or heard of "THE SECRET" it's a simple read and it focuses on positive thoughts to bring positive results in all parts of life. I can lend it to you if you want... or if Rachel ever returned it to me, ask her, she might still have it. There is one big thing that I took from this book that I apply in my everyday life that I recommend to others, it's what I call a "Gratitude Stone." This is a small rock that I carry everywhere I go and it has a few things written on it that I am grateful to have in my life (Christ, Family, Elaine, and friends' names...all are written very tiny!). Everyday when I pull it out of my pocket I look at it and I am reminded of the things that I am grateful for. Mine, I brought back from my honeymoon and I carry it everywhere I go and I have it on me at all times. If you like the idea, I recommend it. I had just the idea when I was in Jamaica and brought one back from the bottom of a river, but you can get one off the street or on your next trip with friends or family. The key is what you write on it that you are grateful to have in your life and keep it with you.

    Good luck and thoughts and prayers are with you as you fight... win... and then finish that marathon!

    ~ Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Brooks!! I love that idea!! Thank you for sharing it and for your thoughts and prayers, I greatly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You Brooks!! I love that idea!! Thank you for sharing it and for your thoughts and prayers, I greatly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete